Saturday, April 24, 2010

What matters most


I spent 3 nights and 4 days at the hospital this week. It was long and trying. I loved the time spent with Critter and felt bad when I had to leave. I left him with Jason's mom for the night so me and Jason could have our first night together since this all started. We took the other two boys and went to dinner then we came home and started on Luke's reading homework for the night. All four of us laid in my bed and read poems from A Light in the Attic. I relished every second. I didn't realize how much I had missed my other children and how good it felt to hold them in my arms. Life's simple moments are the most precious. I am forever indebted to our wonderful Heavenly Father for the incredible gift of family. Even while laying there together enjoying my husbands and my two boys company I still felt a feeling of loss, a piece missing. Our family is not complete without Critter. I can't wait until Critter can come home even if it is for a short time. You can't go through something like this without re-prioritizing. Family is the one thing that would be unbearable to loose. I have lost my schooling , I have lost my sleep, I may loose my job, I have lost my daily routines, I have lost my exercise plan, I have lost my time, I have lost my summer and with it my vacation to Disney Land, I have lost my waist line (again) but my family, not just immediate but extended as well, has grown in strength and purpose and I feel richer because of it. As a humbling experience like this can do we have all been reminded what matters most in our lives.

4 comments:

  1. You are an amazing example of strength and courage. We love your family and are praying for you. Thank you for sharing your experiences and for reminding us how important family is.

    Love, The Nash Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. WoW Niki... we pray for your family daily. We cannot imagine any of our kids going through what you have been through. We admire your stregth and courage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this. Your words were so simple and true. It definitely makes me reexamine my life. We love you guys.

    ReplyDelete