Thursday, June 24, 2010

Intensification


Round 3! The first 2 rounds of chemo were what they called induction. The goal of induction is to put cancer into remission, meaning we no longer test positive for cancer. We have accomplished this goal! (I have talked to mothers here that are doing extended induction because their kids bodies are not responding well. We are very lucky). Now we enter what they call intensification. ALL patients do something different but because AML cannot be cured the same way this is what we do. Intensification means higher doses of drugs. The idea is that even though we are not testing positive for cancer there are still Leukemia cells in his body that don't show up on tests. We need bigger doses so that they are sure to kill everything.


This round he only gets 2 drugs. Ara-C and Etoposide. Last time he got 100mg of Ara-c every 12 hours. This time he is getting 10 times that dose, 1000mg Ara-C every 12 hours. It made a difference immediately. He has been really tired but it is a really restless sleep. He quit eating and started throwing up. We added another anti nausea drug to the other two he has been taking for a total of 3 meds for nausea. He is also running fevers. The fevers are from the Ara-C. He had them the first round also, but just to make sure its not an infection the nurses have to draw labs every 24 hours when he spikes a fever. I spent most of the day holding him yesterday. He felt good for about 2 hours and he played with toys. He is back on 2 hour diaper changes and 4 hour eye drops. The eye drops are an antibiotic eye drop and they sting. He hates it. It is so hard to see him be so sick. The up side is that we only have 5 days of chemo this time. I hope after we are done with chemo he will perk up and feel better. Our last dose of chemo will be on Saturday morning at 6 am. I can't wait!

4 comments:

  1. That sounds brutal. I hope he is on the mend soon. I am so glad you pushed for the weekend at home. Love, the smith's

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a horrible cousin. Although I read your blog and pray for you, I feel like I do nothing else to help. Please let me know if there is ever anything you need. I am more than willing. I am also EXTREMLY sad to report that Micah has work tomorrow morning and I am in charge of a ward activity...so we will not be able to attend the walk. I am so disappointed. What an awesome thing Lindsey did. We love you and think of you often. Love, Josie, Micah, and Beck

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally freaked out when I say the high dose ARA-C. I'm pretty sure next time it will hit almost 3800 mg. I was worried about the high dose but Kristen seemed to tolerate it well. I always tried to talk the docs into giving Kristen the eye drops that don't sting. If she wasn't showing any signs of red eyes they would switch them. It was better until she got the infection and we had to switch back. I remember the fevers with the ARA-C, they always came. I'm feeling for you, 2 hours potty and 4 hours eyedrops=not fun. Things get better. I promise. Hooray! you're more than half way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He friend, Like Kristen's mom we too switched the eye drops to non-stinging ones. Oh I feel the hurt oh too clearly. I am so happy that you are getting through! Just keep going. Poor baby though! I often wondered how I kept functioning in the chemo weeks. 2 hour potty, 4 hour drops, and Sunnie feedings! Thanks goodness for nurses huh! Thinking of you and your little one.

    ReplyDelete