Monday, June 14, 2010

Home is a healing place


Home! At last! This is a picture of us packing up to go home. We were sent home on Tuesday. I hardly slept the night before. It was like we were getting ready to go on some grand vacation. I was so excited I was even happy to pick up our expensive discharge medications. Critter wasn't sure what was going on. I think he was just happy to be let out of his room. On our way out everyone tried to put a mask on Critter which he quickly rips off as soon as he can. And we made our way home! So if we went home on Tuesday what have we been doing. Critter has loved his freedom of the house.

I follow him around and clean...

...and clean some more. He is very busy. He crawls everywhere and climbs on whatever he can. I have a small step stool in my kitchen that I kick around to help me reach things. Critter has learned he can climb on it and sit. The only problem is he hasn't learned how to climb down. He just falls face first. He loves his brothers...except when they are snuggling with his mom. The first time this happened minutes after we arrived home, he crawled over and bit me. After a few days he realized he is not the only child in the family and has taken his place in the food chain. He has also discovered Duke. He liked him before but he has decided that this animal is his new best friend. Poor Duke!

Critter chases him around all day. We are lucky that he is so patient. But what amazes me the most is how healthy Critter is. Within a few days he was sleeping well through the night and two 2-hour naps during the days. His appetite increased and he is so happy! I used to wonder why the doctors would send us home with such a great risk for such a short time. Now I know. There is a healing that is done at home that cannot be accomplished in any hospital room. There is no new medical discovery or practice that can equate to the healing power of a loving family and familiar surroundings. It is amazing to watch.

The plans for the future...well we have a clinic appointment on Thursday. If his labs are up then they can do his LP and bone marrow aspirate then. If not we will wait. They will admit him about 2 days after he gets his LP and bone marrow aspirate. We get labs drawn on Mondays and Thursdays so we will see what tomorrow brings. I am guessing that next Monday we will be admitted for our next round. But who wants to think of that! We have a another whole week at home! Critter is just a normal kid to us right now. He throw fits, he laughs and plays. He is just a normal little toddler.

5 comments:

  1. It's good to see him so busy! And I'm glad he is doing well. It's a good thing you aren't doing this in January when the whole world is sick. Next summer we are going to do some serious playing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you guys. That is great that you get a little bit of home time all together :) Best Wishes to you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read a post on another blog about Critter. I'll be praying. I'm glad he's home and I hope he beats AML.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hope you are able to enjoy your time at home. our thoughts and prayers continually go out to your family.
    - Tyler & Lindsay Hyatt

    ReplyDelete