Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Really Ruff Day


Well we woke up really happy with an awesome hair do! Actually I took this picture a few days ago after a nap but I thought it was really funny.

But we did wake up happy and after a shower and a try at breakfast we were visited by Santa Clause!So our day really did start out good.

Then they sent the ENT doc to check his ear. It has been draining some bloody discharge and they can't get rid of it so we pinned him down and they scraped and suctioned his ear out. They took a culture of it and by tomorrow we should be starting some new antibiotics to try to help but right now he is just on one oral antibiotic and ear drops that he hates. He was mad but it was over with and I held him and he felt better.

Then they weighed him. He has not been eating much and I guess the only one gaining weigh is me (I couldn't let all of the root beer float go to waste!) Anyway Critter has lost a little over 2 pounds since we have been here and considering he only weighs 30 pounds to begin with its a significant loss. So they decided to put in a Nasal Gastric tube (NG tube). It goes in his nose right into his stomach and they run feedings on a pump at night. This was kinda my biggest fear last time just because I was afraid he would just pull it out and surprisingly he didn't. But putting the tube in was horrible! I've placed a few of these myself on babies and watched a million others placed but never on a 2year old and never MY child. I held him down while he gagged and coughed and he kept saying "mommy no" in the sweetest little voice.
Then he just cried and felt it for a while and said his nose hurt. I held it together until the nurses left the room then I started crying. Sometimes watching your child go through this stuff just plain sucks! After he settled down and took a little nap we got him to drink some juice and eat some chex mix. I sat down to write this post and he started throwing up and of course threw up the tube. So after a shower and complete bed change we did it all over again. I do have to say the second time was a little better because they drugged him before (on my request)but it still took him a little time to settle down and he fell asleep with his finger up his nose so its just like home. The poor guy has been tortured today. I hope tomorrow is better.

3 comments:

  1. Can I tell you how much I heart hurts reading this? You are in our prayers EVERY day. (anth & steph)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little guy. I think that it is so great that he has such a strong mommy with him to help him through all of this. Especially one that knows what he needs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry. That all sounds miserable. Watching your kids hurt is the worst thing ever. And it is so draining. I feel like a zombie after a day like that, just kind of numb. I hope that some happy times come to break up the hard times. We will pray for that, lots of tender mercies and some miracles too.

    ReplyDelete