Monday, August 2, 2010

Higher doses...harder times


Critter has had a so so week, he started out well but due to the increased doses of the chemo and the introduction of a new drug this round it has been pretty hard on him. For a while now his head has been very fragile, any little bump would peel skin away and leave an oozing wound, well due to the chemo again it has worsened and on top of that his entire head and also his arms are now a nice spotty red color. The docs say that this can be quite uncomfortable almost like an itchy rash so as you can imagine on top of being tired and nauseated he also is in discomfort from this rash. For so long we have been so lucky that he has been so strong but the increase in chemo doses is really catching up with us. Chemo can change the taste of food so most chemo patients will binge eating one type of food that might taste good that day. With Critter it is an eternal guessing a game to find something he will eat even though he may be starving he only wants one thing but we have to guess what it is. He is throwing more temper tantrums I think because he is not feeling well and really frustrated.

Critter has had a few reactions to drugs, like today when he cried for three hours straight apparently a reaction to a nausea med. Our list of allergies continues to grow. He had a really bad reaction to one of his chemo drugs. He will get it again on Wednesday because he needs the chemo so they will try to medicate for the reaction. Please pray for him, pray for us we can truly feel the strength of all of you and we need all of the strength we can get, we love you all.




8 comments:

  1. If I was itchy on top of nauseated I would throw tantrums too! Can't help but cry when I think about you guys having such a hard time right now. I feel like the blessing I got this week pertains to you guys too--This is NOT a wasted time. This experience will help you understand and help others and grow closer to Heavenly Father. It's so hard right now but the end is in sight. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor critter! His rash looks bad, I hope it is not as uncomfortable as it looks, and you were right the pictures don't do it justice, his head looks worse in person but I am glad he is still being strong and surviving. I love his cute little face and can't wait to see it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart truly feels your pain! I think I told you before that this was our kicker round. Stay strong and just make it through! What you are doing sounds like what Taylie went through. It was sooo hard to find anything for her to eat and enjoy. She drank a lot of flavored Gosner Milks. And ate a ton of Bacon. There were times when she was so hungry and everything she put in her mouth she spit it our in complete frustration. Everything tasted so yucky! All I can tell you is to hang in there. Please know that he and your whole family are in our prayers. You will Triumph!!! Can i come and visit on tueday the 10th? Taylie has clinic that day. What can I bring you? If you want to try the gosner milks I can bring you some. Let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know kids are different than adults, but Gatorade was something Bryan would drink even during the worst of chemo times (recommended by a friend who knew a lot of blood cell cancers & chemo). Even when he wouldn't eat, he could almost always drink Gatorade (although we had to vary the flavor all the time--never the same flavor two times in a row). I've heard Gatorade doesn't have the same bad taste that so many other foods/liquids do.

    Sometimes I went to the drink/juice aisle of the grocery store & purchased every kind of liquid I thought he might be tempted by (apple juice, gingerale, strawberry lemonade, every flavor gatorade, etc). It was the twins' job to guess which drink dad might like in the morning, afternoon & night. Sometimes they were right, but even when they weren't (& it just sat by the side of the bed), they felt like they were helping somehow.

    Good luck, mom of the year. You're earning your nursing hat & wings. AND.....you're so close to being done and putting this cancer stuff behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love you guys and continue to pray for you. Know you are in our thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have tried gatorade in the past maybe its time to try again. We also do carnation instant breakfasts in all flavors. He drank 1 whole ounce of the chocolate the other day. So far thats the best. Thank you for all your input. I love the ideas and suggestions! And Lacy - I wont be here tuesday morning but a grandma will. We would love to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once again adults may be different than children, but when I had chemo, popsicles or frozen fruit bars always tasted great. As did ice cream--always ice cream! There was something about the combination of the cold and the fruity, creamy flavor and texture. I don't remember them tasting bland. Remember we love you!
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel awful I haven't checked your blog in over a week. I will definitely be praying for you guys. I admire your strength Nikki. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete