Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Back to the hospital already?

Well we thought we were home. On Sunday we noticed Critter had a little scratch on the bottom of his foot. It looked like a sliver. So I sterilized a safety pin the best I could and poked at it a little. I was pretty sure there was nothing in it so I covered it in antibiotic ointment and taped it up. Well Monday morning it looked a lot worse. One of the joys of having your white count so low is that regular bacteria that is on your skin or can get on your skin can cause major problems. So any breakdown in the skin is a site for a possible infection. One little cut, maybe only 2 cm long sent us to the hospital for 3 hours. In the end the doctor took pity on us and sent us home with antibiotics on the condition that if he spikes a fever we drive straight to the hospital. I also have to call tomorrow morning and tomorrow night to report how the cut looks. If it gets worse we will be back in the hospital. I was just glad that they didn't admit us today. I have started counting on my time at home and taken it for granted that if he gets any type of infection he gets to go back. At least we got a Slurpee out of it. On the advice of my uncle I have started rewarding myself when we have long hospital days. That way I am not resentful that I spent X amount of hours wasted at the hospital. Instead it is like oh you have to go to the hospital? Sweet that means I get a Slurpee! What you have to get an LP today that means I get to treat myself to some tapioca pudding! I have learned that little things lift your spirit the most and make life bearable.
Critter continues to handle it all like a champ. I keep waiting for us to walk through the doors of Primary's and have him start crying and throw a fit because he know what is coming and doesn't want to be there. But every time he laughs when the docs and nurses come in the room and talks like he knows it all. He is so brave. He continues to be an example to me everyday.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe that little cut sent him in! I am glad he is home though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like a slurpee. We'll always be kids at heart, won't we? Next time you'll have to get a snow cone! I take the kids to go get one, but really it's a treat for me too! BTW, tonight was way fun, you guys are such a great family.

    ReplyDelete